November-December 2022 News
MESSAGE FROM P&R DIRECTOR
Please join me in congratulating the Southbury Parks and Recreation Adult Co-Ed Softball 2022 Champions: T. Bette Transportation! Thank you to all of the players and to their families for their dedication and commitment to the league and to the community. Special thanks to our volunteer league co-commissioners: Tom Marks and John Demeyer.
Pictured (back, from left) John Fleming, Nate Beardsley, Kelly Norris, Adam Kayfus, Bobby Hamila, Mike Harmann, Rick Harrison, Rob Bette, Ryan Johnson; (front row) Butter, Jim Smith, Dani Phipps, Andy Drescher, Kaylynn Harmann.
Michael Ganem, Director
Southbury Parks and Recreation
PUMPKIN CONTEST - by November 6, 2022
Have some fun and paint or carve your funniest, scariest or most creative pumpkin. Take a picture of your pumpkin and submit to this online form by November 6, 2022. Winners will be announced at the end of November.
23rd ANNUAL HOLIDAY CELEBRATION - December 3, 2022 at 5pm
We look forward to seeing you at the 23rd Annual Holiday Celebration! The location will be between the Fire House and the Town Hall Green. Enjoy live music, hot cocoa and more. Join your neighbors, sing along, and see Santa and his helpers arrive in a firetruck to join in the fun. We may even get a surprise visit from the Grinch - keep your eyes peeled!
LETTERS TO SANTA - November 25 to December 9, 2022
If your child writes to Santa Claus, Santa will return a letter to your child! Please drop off the letter at our building in the drop box located to the right of the P&R front door. Please include your child’s first and last name and a mailing address.
Drop off the letters between November 25 and December 9, 2022.
2nd ANNUAL HOLIDAY HOUSE LIGHTS CONTEST - by December 8, 2022
Southbury Parks and Recreation is proud to announce the 2nd Annual Holiday House Lights Contest. Southbury families and businesses are invited to decorate their house or business to spread holiday cheer for all to see. Once your house or business is decorated, please fill out our entry form at southbury-ct.org/holidaylights. Entries must be submitted by Thursday, December 8, 2022.
Contest categories include:
- Merry & Bright (best use of lights)
- The North Pole (best north pole design)
- Misfit Toys (best use of inflatables)
- Santa’s Workshop (best use of holiday décor- local business category only)
- Winter Wonderland (best winter themed decor)
- Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree (best use of music and technology award).
For details go to southbury-ct.org/holidaylights.
WINTER OPEN SWIM
As an early chill fills the air, we are still thinking aquatics at Parks & Rec. This winter Open Swim will return to Pomperaug High School for those looking to swim laps, or to simply splash around on a cold winter day. Family and Adult/Lap Swimming will be held on Saturdays and Sundays beginning January 4, 2023 and continuing until April 2, 2023. Hours will be from 1:30pm to 3:30pm.
Passes are available for family, individual and senior members of the Region 15 community.
We will offer an array of swim lessons geared to the youngest water babies up to younger, independent teen swimmers looking to improve their in-water skills. Programs will begin in January and continue through March.
NEW: SIGN DÉCOR PAINT CLASS
Make your own customized wood sign to hang in your home or office, or give it away as a gift. No experience or special skills are needed for this class. Our instructors will lay out your stencils then you pick colors and paint your sign. When your board is dry, we’ll show you how you can pick off the stencil pieces. One board takes an average of one hour to complete, depending on how detailed you’d like to be. Each sign can be personalized to you by including your name or a specific date.
Please come dressed in clothes that can get paint on them - paint is non-washable. Before registering, look over selected templates – the link can be found in the program description.
- November Sign Painting Class | Ages 5 & up | Saturday, 11/12 | 1:15pm-2:30pm - Register by 11/3
- December Sign Painting Class | Ages 5 & up | Tuesday, 12/6 | 6:00pm-7:30pm - Register by 11/21
NEW: PARENT’S NIGHT OUT
Parents/Guardians can drop off their children at Southbury Parks & Recreation, so they can have a night to themselves. The holidays can be tough between shopping, cooking, and house cleaning. We all deserve a night off to relax! Our staff will provide a day camp atmosphere, with camp theme crafts, games, and activities while parents have the night off. Dinner and snacks included!
NEW: DECEMBER VACATION CAMP
Adventure Day Camp for grades K-6 is featuring a new camp during Winter Break. Children will have the experience of camp by participating in a variety of camp games, activities, and crafts. After Camp hours are also offered (for day campers only).
- December Vacation Camp | Grades K-6 | Tuesday-Thursday, 12/27-12/29 | 8:00am-3:00pm - Register by 12/19
- December After Camp | Grades K-6 | Tuesday-Thursday, 12/27-12/29 | 3:00pm-5:00pm - Register by 12/19
- Arts & Motion: Nature Exploration | Grades K-6 | Saturday, 11/12 | 10:30am-12:00pm - Register by 11/7
- Arts & Motion: December Holidays | Grades K-6 | Tuesdays, 12/6 & 12/13 | 4:30pm-5:30pm - Register by 11/28
- Arts & Motion: 3 class package | Grades K-6 | Saturdays, 12/17, 1/21, & 2/18 | 10:30am-12:00pm - Register by 12/8
- Chess: Checkmate! | Ages 6-14 | Thursdays, 11/17-1/5 | 5:00pm-6:00pm - Register by 11/10
- Golf Junior Clinic | Ages 7-14 | Thursdays, 12/8-12/29 | 4:30pm-5:30pm - Register by 12/1
- Shooting Stars: Basketball Clinic | Ages 3-5 | Mondays, 11/7 & 11/14 | 4:30pm-5:15pm - Register by 10/31
- Shooting Stars: Basketball Game | Ages 3-5 | Saturday, 11/12 | 12:30pm-1:00pm - Register by 11/10
- Shooting Stars: Basketball Clinic | Ages 3-5 | Mondays, 11/28 - 12/19 | 4:30pm-5:15pm - Register by 11/21
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: Nature | Ages 3-5 | Monday, 11/7 | 3:30pm-4:15pm - Register by 11/3
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: Nature | Ages 3-5 | Saturday, 11/12 | 9:00am-9:45am - Register by 11/7
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: December Holidays | Ages 3-5 | Tuesday, 12/13 | 5:30pm-6:15pm - Register by 12/6
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: Winter Class Bundle | Ages 3-5 | Various Tuesdays & Mondays, 12/13-2/7 | Various afternoon times - Register by 12/5
Youth Take Home Kits
- Arts & Motion: Nature Exploration | Grades K-6 | Pick up after 11/29 - Register by 11/22
- Arts & Motion: December Holidays | Grades K-6 | Pick up after 12/17 - Register by 12/8
- Arts & Motion: 3 class package | Grades K-6 | Various Pick up days starting 12/17 - Register by 12/8
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: Fall Festival | Ages 3-5 | Pick up after 11/8 - Register by 11/1
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: Nature | Ages 3-5 | Pick up after 11/29 - Register by 11/22
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: December Holidays | Ages 3-5 | Pick up after 12/13 - Register by 12/6
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse: Winter Kit Bundle | Ages 3-5 | Various Pick up days starting 12/13 - Register by 12/5
- Horseback Riding: Private Lessons | Ages 3 & up | Times Determined with Instructors - Rolling Registration
- Painting Class: Lakeside Galaxy | Ages 6 & up | Sunday, 11/13 | 10:00am-12:00pm - Register by 11/7
- Painting Class: Bridge with Leaves | Ages 6 & up | Sunday, 11/13 | 1:00pm-3:00pm - Register by 11/7
- Painting Class - 2 Classes | Ages 6 & up | Sunday, 11/13 | 10:00am-12:00pm & 1:00pm-3:00pm - Register by 11/7
- Chess: Game of Kings | Ages 15 & up | Thursdays, 11/17-1/5 | 6:15pm-7:15pm - Register by 11/10
- Golf Adult Novice | Ages 15 & up | Wednesdays, 12/7-12/28 | 6:00pm-7:00pm - Register by 12/1
- Golf Women's Clinic | Women Ages 15 & up | Wednesdays, 12/7-12/28 | 6:00pm-7:00pm - Register by 11/30
- Preparation for the CT license Exam 3A: Custom Grounds | Ages 18 & up | Mondays & Thursdays 11/07-12/05 | 6:00pm-8:00pm - Register by 10/31
REGISTER NOW FOR PROGRAMS BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!
To serve you better, all schedules of SP&R are subject to change.
Toddlers ages 2-3 will have the opportunity to be introduced to soccer equipment, and team-building exercises with their parent/guardian and have a play-based environment with age-appropriate introductory skills.
- Kicking Stars - Soccer Program| Ages 2-3 | Thursdays, 1/24 & 1/31 | 4:15pm-5:00pm - Register by 1/17
Toddlers ages 3-5 will have the opportunity to be introduced to the fundamentals of soccer and team-building exercises during the Kicking Stars Pre-School Soccer Clinic in a fun and nurturing environment.
- Kicking Stars - Soccer Clinic | Ages 3-5 | Tuesdays, 1/10-2/7 | 5:30pm-6:15pm - Register by 1/3
The staff of Southbury Parks and Recreation again participated in this year's Halloween event organized by the Ladies Auxiliary of the Southbury Volunteer Firemen's Association and had a great time!
Click here to view pictures.
Southbury Parks and Recreation is currently seeking instructors for the following programs:
- Toddler and Preschool aged children for a Creative Play Class
Please fill out this form and return it to our Southbury Parks and Recreation Office or e-mail us at email@example.com.
WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Do you have a talent that you would like to share? The Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is always looking for new instructors for our classes. To submit a class for consideration, download the form and return to our office.
Is there a class or event you would like us to offer? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
If you have any other comments or suggestions, please email us at email@example.com.
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
For information regarding youth sports organizations in town, please click here.