MESSAGE FROM P&R DIRECTOR
If you visited my office you might have seen a whiteboard hanging on the wall. On this whiteboard I wrote “this job is a walk in the park.” In spite of many moving parts and at times challenging variables, “a walk in the park” to me means that ‘Life is good.’ A walk in the park is pleasing to the mind and to the spirit. A walk in the park reaffirms the beauty, the wonder and the power of nature.
When we meet at the ball fields, a concert, or in the park, you might ask: “how’s it going at the Parks and Rec?” My reply will be “great!” In fact, it is rewarding to witness the positive response from our patrons who are engaged in so many programs that we research and develop. Please take a moment to join me to thank my colleagues and our community partners for their dedication and for their contributions; our success is only possible because of great teamwork!
THANK YOU! Thank you for your participation and for your support of Southbury Parks and Recreation. Because of you, our jobs here at Parks and Rec are a walk in the park.
Michael Ganem, Director
Southbury Parks and Recreation
CONCERTS ON THE GREEN
Starting July 11th, the community is invited to the Town Hall Green for a weekly performance of live music. Bands are scheduled to perform their set from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.
Concerts are free and open to the public. Bring a lawn chair or a blanket. In case of rain, the concerts will be cancelled. All concerts will be held on the green next to Southbury Town Hall. Park at 561 Main Street South, Pomperaug Elementary, or at the lower parking lot of Town Hall.
Visit our website for a full list of dates and performers.
OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT - August 8, 2022
On Monday, August 8th, we will screen the Golden Globe and Oscar winner for best animated feature film: Encanto! The movie will begin at sunset and families are encouraged to join us for pre-movie entertainment provided by Tom “T-Bone” Stankus starting at 6:30pm. Popcorn and water will be available for purchase.
BALLANTINE POOL IS OPEN!
Open Swim, Swim Lessons, Sharks Swim Team, and special events are taking place at the pool this summer. Sign up now!
Save the date for these two popular pool events: Middle School Party will take place on Friday, July 29, 6:30-8:30pm. Family Night will take place on Saturday, July 30. Details will be posted soon.
ADVENTURE DAY CAMP AND TEEENSCAPE CAMP
Our campers are having a blast! There are still a few spaces left so register now at southbury.recdesk.com.
- Adventure Camp | Grades 1-5 | weekly, Monday-Friday | 8:00am-4:00pm
- Teenscape | Grades 6-8 | weekly, Monday-Thursday | 8:00am-4:30pm
YOUTH SUMMER CAMPS
Southbury Parks and Recreation is offering several week-long (4 or 5 days) summer youth camps. Kids of all ages can learn new or sharpen their athletic or culinary skills. Registrations usually close a week before each camp starts. Go to southbury.recdesk.com to register.
- Dance | Ages 4-10 | July 18-22 | 9:00am-12:30pm (Enrollment ends soon!)
- Cooking | Ages 6-12 | August 8-12 | 9:30am-12:30pm
- Golf | Ages 7-14 | weekly sessions through August 15 | 9:00am-12:00pm
- Horseback Riding | Ages 3+ | weekly sessions through August 22 | 9:00am-12:30pm
- Panther Basketball Camp | Grades 4-9 | two weekly sessions starting July 18 & July 25 | 9:30am-2:00pm
VOLLEYBALL CLINIC: BUMP SET SPIKE!
Run by the coach who just completed our very successful, first ever Volleyball clinic, this camp is designed to develop consistent volleyball skills and to raise the level of play of each athlete on the court. This co-ed program is targeted for the Beginner to Intermediate player to learn the fundamentals of passing, setting, hitting, and serving through drills and exercises. Each athlete will be given feedback individually from instructors who have competed in High School and Division I College level.
- Volleyball | Ages 11-14 | Tuesday-Friday 8/9-8/12 | 9:00am-12:00pm - Register by 8/2
- Summer Swishers: Session 1 | Grades 1 & 2 | Monday-Thursday, 8/1-8/4 | 5:15pm-6:15pm - Register by 7/25
- Summer Swishers: Session 2 | Grades 1 & 2 | Monday-Thursday, 8/1-8/4 | 6:30pm-7:30pm - Register by 7/25
- Taekwon Do - Beginners | Ages 7+ | Mondays & Wednesdays, 7/6-9/21 | 6:00pm-6:45pm - Register by 7/27
- Taekwon Do - Advanced | Ages 7+ | Mondays & Wednesdays, 7/6-9/21 | 7:00pm-8:00pm - Register by 7/27
- Self Defense Seminar | All Ages | Saturday, 7/30 | 9:30am-12:00pm – Register by 7/22
- Golf - Junior Clinic | Ages 7-14 | Wednesdays, 8/3-8/24 | 4:30pm-5:30pm - Register by 7/27
- Golf - Adult Novice | Ages 16+ | Wednesdays, 8/3-8/24 | 6:30pm-7:30pm - Register by 7/27
- Golf - Women's Clinic | Ages 16+ | Mondays, 8/1-8/22 | 6:30pm-7:30pm - Register by 7/27
REGISTER NOW FOR PROGRAMS BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!
To serve you better, all schedules of SP&R are subject to change.
If you are interested in renting the Ballantine Pavilion, please visit www.southbury-ct.org/pavilion for all the details. Dates are filling up fast! All applications are reviewed on a first-come first-serve basis and must be complete 60 days before event. Days are still available in September and October.
Southbury Celebration has been set for October 1st.
Food! Fun! Fireworks! Please bring your lawn chairs and blankets and get set for a terrific evening of fun and celebration for all ages. Food court and music start at 4:30pm with fireworks after dark. (Rain date: Sunday, October 2nd).
Southbury Celebration Committee Looking for Musical Talent and Food Vendors. Details at www.southbury-ct.org/sbycelebration.
Southbury Parks and Recreation is currently seeking instructors for the following programs:
- Toddler-aged children Programs
- Tumbling Tikes
Please fill out this form and return it to our Southbury Parks and Recreation Office or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Do you have a talent that you would like to share? The Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is always looking for new instructors for our classes. To submit a class for consideration, download the form and return to our office.
Is there a class or event you would like us to offer? Please email us at email@example.com and let us know.
If you have any other comments or suggestions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
For information regarding youth sports organizations in town, please click here.