MESSAGE FROM P&R DIRECTOR
As we continue to enjoy spring and look forward to the summer, I want to thank you for visiting our parks, our playgrounds, our community garden, and our sports fields and courts. Each year at this time our parks and facilities are full of life.
Please help us to continue to provide a positive experience for you and to our visitors by remembering to “carry out what you carry in.” A great way to reduce waste is by using a refillable bottle with your name on it. Please park in designated areas only. Parking in designated areas protects our wetlands and our fields. Dogs are prohibited at Ballantine Park, Community House Park, Seman Park, and Settler’s Park (east of Crook Horn Road). Dogs are prohibited from all Southbury parks that have sports fields or sports courts.
Thank you, again, for doing your part to help preserve our parks and to maintain our facilities. Like you, I feel an enormous sense of pride each time I visit one of our many parks. For a comprehensive list of our facilities, please visit: southbury-ct.org/parks.
Michael Ganem, Director
Southbury Parks and Recreation
MEMORIAL DAY PARADE AND PICNIC - May 30, 2022
Southbury's annual Memorial Day Parade begins at 11:00 am on Monday, May 30! The parade begins at Pomperaug Office Park and continues down Main Street South to the Veterans Memorial Green. (Between the Town Hall and the Parks and Rec/Senior Center Building.)
Immediately following the parade is the Annual Family Day Picnic at Ballantine Park, 611 Old Field Road. The picnic starts at 12 noon and will run until 3:00 p.m. We will have a variety of activities going on throughout the day. There will be inflatables, face painting, music, food and more. Details will follow. There is no charge for the Family Day Picnic.
Boy Scout Troop 1607 will be selling hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and drinks throughout the day for all to enjoy. You can buy food from them or bring your own. Veterans will receive a free meal compliments of the Troop.
It’s not too early to start thinking about the summer and lazy, hazy days outdoors at the Southbury Town Pool. Open Swim, Swim Lessons, Sharks Swim Team and special events will all take place at the pool this summer. Sign up now!
The Southbury Town Pool at Ballantine Park will open June 18, 2022 as your favorite destination to cool off this summer. The facility is the perfect spot for warm weather relaxation and enjoyment. In addition to our main pool, the Ballantine kiddie pool will be open for our youngest swimmers.
Buy your pass now! For more information go to www.southbury-ct.org/pool or buy your season pool pass now.
Swim lessons at the Southbury Town Pool are very popular and are offered on a first come first served basis. We have many lessons to choose from for all ability levels; from the tiniest water babies to young swimmers ready to develop all strokes. Sessions begin on June 25. Class size is limited so register early.
SHARKS SWIM TEAM
Be part of one of State Line Swim League’s most successful teams! The Summer Sharks emphasizes participation, teamwork and fun while teaching swim skills and technique in a relaxed atmosphere. Members have the chance to be on a team, compete for their best times in dual meets and take part in a fun End of Season Invitational. Swimmers between the ages of 6 and 16 are eligible to sign up. Participants should be able to swim one lap of freestyle and one lap of backstroke. Season runs Monday through Friday from June 20 to July 29 at the Town Pool at Ballantine Park.
ADVENTURE DAY CAMP AND TEEENSCAPE CAMP
Spaces are filling fast for our camps so don't delay. Register now at southbury.recdesk.com.
- Adventure Camp | Grades 1-5 | weekly starting 6/27 | 8:00am-4:00pm
- Teenscape | Grades 6-8 | weekly starting 6/27 | 8:00am-4:30pm
Southbury Parks and Recreation is accepting applications for Counselor-in-Training program that will be held at our Adventure Day Camp. Applicants need to be in grades 9-12 (entering in fall 2022). Deadline to submit application is May 16, 2022. Go to for www.southbury-ct.org/CIT for details.
YOUTH SUMMER CAMPS
Southbury Parks and Recreation is offering several week-long (4 or 5 days) summer youth camps. Kids of all ages can learn new or sharpen their athletic or culinary skills. Registrations usually close a week before each camp starts. Go to southbury.recdesk.com to register.
- Ballet | Ages 4-10 | July 18-22 | 9:00am-12:30pm
- Cooking | Ages 6-12 | August 8-12 | 9:30am-12:30pm
- Field Hockey | Grades 1-9 | June 27-30 | 9:00am-12:00pm
- Golf | Ages 7-14 | weekly sessions starting June 20 | 9:00am-12:00pm
- Horseback Riding | Ages 3+ | weekly starting June 20 | 9:00am-12:30pm
- Panther Baseball Camp | Ages 6-12 | July 11-14 | Half Day (9am-12pm) or Full Day (9:00am-2:00pm)
- Panther Basketball Camp | Grades 4-9 | two weekly sessions starting June 18 & June 25 | 9:30am-2:00pm
- Volleyball | Ages 11-14 | August 9 | 9:00am-12:00pm
- Yoga | Ages 11-15 | June 27-30 | 9:00am-12:00pm
VOLLEYBALL CLINIC: BUMP SET SPIKE!
This co-ed program is targeted for the beginner athlete to learn how to pass, set, hit, and serve a volleyball with a small class environment for more individual instruction.
- Volleyball | Ages 11-14 | Tuesdays-Thursdays 6/21-6/30 | 6:30pm-7:30pm - Register by 6/7
- Basketball | Grades 3-9 | practice starts 6/20 (one night a week) and games on Saturdays - Register by 6/10
- Adult Co-Ed Softball League | Ages 21+ | Wednesdays & Thursdays, 6/15-9/15 | 6:00pm-9:00pm - Register by 5/30
- Tiny Tots Club House: Summer Throw Down | Ages 2-5 | Saturday, 5/21 | 9:30am-10:15am - Register by 5/18
- Tiny Tots Club House: Summer Throw Down | Ages 2-5 | Take Home Kit - Register by 5/18
- Tiny Tots Club House: Down on the Farm | Ages 2-5 | Saturday, 5/28 | 9:30am-10:15am - Register by 5/25
- Tiny Tots Club House: Down on the Farm | Ages 2-5 | Take Home Kit - Register by 5/25
- Summer Swishers: Session 1 | Grades 1 & 2 | Monday-Thursday, 8/1-8/4 | 5:15-6:15pm - Register by 7/25
- Summer Swishers: Session 2 | Grades 1 & 2 | Monday-Thursday, 8/1-8/4 | 6:30-7:30pm - Register by 7/25
- Chess - Checkmate! | Ages 6-14 | Thursdays, 7/7-8/25 | 4:45-5:45pm - Register by 6/30
- Taekwon Do - Beginners | Ages 7+ | Mondays & Wednesdays, 7/6-9/21 | 6:00-6:45pm - Register by 7/27
- Taekwon Do - Advanced | Ages 7+ | Mondays & Wednesdays, 7/6-9/21 | 7:00-8:00pm - Register by 7/27
- Golf - Junior Clinic | Ages 7-14 | Tuesdays, 7/5-7/26 |4:30-5:30pm - Register by 6/28
- Chess Game of Kings | Ages 15+ | Thursdays, 7/7-8/25 | 6:30-8:00pm - Register by 6/30
- Golf - Adult Novice | Ages 16+ | Tuesdays, 7/5-7/26 | 6:30-7:30pm - Register by 6/28
- Golf - Women's Clinic | Ages 16+ | Thursdays, 7/7-7/28 | 6:30-7:30pm - Register by 6/30
- Core Yoga (Level 2) | Ages 18+ | Mondays, 5/23-7/11 | 9:30-10:45am - Register by 5/20
- Core Yoga (Level 2) | Ages 18+ | Wednesdays, 5/25-7/13 | 6:30-7:30pm - Register by 5/20
- Core Yoga (Level 2) | Ages 18+ | Thursdays, 5/26-7/14 | 6:30-7:30pm - Register by 5/23
- Yoga & Pilates Fusion (All Levels) | Ages 18+ | Mondays, 5/23-7/11 | 6:00-7:15pm - Register by 5/20
- Yoga & Pilates Fusion (All Levels) | Ages 18+ | Wednesdays, 5/25-7/13 | 6:00-7:15pm - Register by 5/20
- Yoga & Pilates Fusion (All Levels) | Ages 18+ | Sundays, 5/22-7/10 | 9:00-10:00am - Register by 5/20
- Total Body Conditioning | Ages 18+ | Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6/2-7/28 | 6:30-7:30pm - Register by 5/26
REGISTER NOW FOR PROGRAMS BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!
To serve you better, all schedules of SP&R are subject to change.
If you are interested in renting the Ballantine Pavilion, please visit www.southbury-ct.org/pavilion for all the details. Dates are filling up fast! All applications are reviewed on a first-come first-serve basis.
SAVE THE DATE
Our Monday Concert series will start July 11 and will finish with the Family Outdoor Movie Night on July 8, 2022.
We're still accepting applications for Summer Camp Counselors. Details are available on the Southbury Employment Opportunities web page.
Southbury Parks and Recreation is currently seeking instructors for the following programs:
- Toddler aged children Programs
- Tumbling Tikes
Please fill out this form and return it to our Southbury Parks and Recreation Office or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Do you have a talent that you would like to share? The Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is always looking for new instructors for our classes. To submit a class for consideration, download the form and return to our office.
Is there a class or event you would like us to offer? Please email us at email@example.com and let us know.
If you have any other comments or suggestions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
For information regarding youth sports organizations in town, please click here.