Parks and Recreation
561 Main Street South
Southbury, CT 06488
Maps and Directions
Monday - Thursday:
8:00am - 4:30pm
Fri: 8:00am - 1:00pm
Special Events of Parks & Recreation
Southbury Drive-Movie: Frozen II - THE EVENT IS FULL
Friday, September 25, 2020; 7pm
Southbury Training School, 1461 South Britain Road
Registration is free but limited. Register at https://southbury.recdesk.com/Community/Program starting September 16.
The movie is sponsored by Ion Bank - Thank You! And Thank You to the Southbury Training School for hosting!
No grilling will be allowed. Parking instructions and additional information will be emailed to registrants before the event.
PLEASE BRING A COPY OF YOUR RECEIPT THE NIGHT OF THE MOVIE.
Non-perishable food donations will be collected at the event. The following is the food list Southbury Food Bank really needs:
- Canned Mandarin Oranges & Pineapple
- Canned Corn
- Mayo, Salad Dressing, Ketchup
- Pasta & Pasta Sauce
- Cereal & Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Dish Soap, Bar Soap, Toothpaste, Razors
Southbury Celebration Cancelled Due to COVID-19
The Southbury Celebration has been enjoyed by over 4,000 people annually since 1999. The event is hosted by the Town of Southbury and the Southbury Training School and celebrates our local community with food, music, fellowship and fireworks. The State of Connecticut Covid-19 guidance, as of August 14, 2020, directs fireworks events be limited to 500 maximum. Accordingly, out of an abundance of caution and our desire to host a quality, safe and fun celebration for everyone, we have postponed the Southbury Celebration to the Fall of 2021.
Submit by October 23, 2020
When the leaves start to fall, be creative and make your scarecrow! Take a picture of your scarecrow and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at our office on or before October 23, 2020. Photos will be on display at Southbury Parks and Recreation and winners will be announced at the end of October.
Southbury Chalk Art Event
Saturday, October 17, 2020; 9-10am
P&R Parking Lot, 561 Main Street South
- Register Online at southbury.recdesk.com
- Registration: October 1 to October 16, 2020
- Spaces are limited, register early
- There is a $5.00 entry fee for each section
- Each participant will be randomly assigned (no exceptions) an approximately 8 1/2’ W x 14’ L section on the asphalt
- Each section will be socially distanced
- Open to all Southbury Residents
- Best in Show awarded in these categories: Family, Children, Youth, Adult and Senior Artwork
- We will provide 8 pieces of chalk – green, white, blue & red. Households are welcome to bring their own chalk, however, there is no sharing of chalk with other households
- Family-Friendly, non-political, non-religious, no-nudity, no scenes of violence
- Bring your own shade if needed
- Bring your Creativity!
8:45 a.m. - Check-in
10:00 a.m. - Judging begins, your piece must be completed
10:15 a.m. – Event concludes
There is no rain date scheduled at this time.
Please park in the upper parking lot at Town Hall or at Pomperaug Elementary School.
Please be mindful of Social Distancing practices and wear a mask when distancing is not possible.
All are welcome to view the finished art work any time after 11:00 p.m.
Submit by November 6, 2020
Have some fun and paint or carve your funniest, scariest or most creative pumpkin. Take a picture of your pumpkin and email to email@example.com or drop it off at our office on or before November 6, 2020. Photos will be on display at Southbury Parks and Recreation and winners will be announced at the end of November.