The Town of Southbury is hiring a full-time Director of Parks & Recreation. The position is 35 hours/week and offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, sick and personal leave, defined contribution plan with match, medical, dental and vision insurance as well as life and long-term disability insurance. Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is responsible for managing the activities and personnel of the Parks & Recreation Department and ensuring the Town meets the recreation needs of the community.
- Supervises department personnel and provides direction to staff and instructors in the administration of recreation programs for citizens of all ages.
- Develops and manages the department budget and provides financial oversight of departmental activities.
- Works with the Recreation Commission to develop the department’s strategic plan.
- Develops and supervises a diversified program of recreational activities and services.
- Maintains awareness of developments in the parks and recreation field and makes recommendations for new or enhanced program offerings.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with local community agencies, instructors and the general public.
- Evaluates community needs and trends and ensures effective and efficient department services.
- Performs community outreach activities and promotes awareness of upcoming recreational programs and activities.
- Effectively manages department staff and outside contractors and volunteer groups.
- Required to work nights and weekends as necessary for special events, meetings and activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation and leisure services.
- Knowledge of community needs and programming options in the recreation field.
- Ability to develop short- and long-range plans for programs and effectively present and market programming to the public.
- Experience and knowledge of aquatics including programming and pool safety.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and experience with public speaking.
- Knowledge of public administration and municipal government operations.
- Graduation from an accredited university with a bachelor’s degree in Recreation or Leisure Services plus five years of related experience. Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline for receiving applications is February 16, 2024.
Applications are available online. Please submit application and resume to email@example.com.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.