The Town of Southbury is hiring a full-time Planning Director to manage the Land Use Department. This position is 35 hours/week with a salary range of $75,000-$85,000 and offers a comprehensive benefits package. The position is responsible for administering the land use regulatory process for the Planning, Zoning and Inland Wetlands Commissions and supervising the activities of the Land Use Department.
- Manages preparation of designs and plans related to municipal development and land use.
- Provides technical advice, information and policy recommendations on matters related to land use development, zoning, capital improvements, subdivisions, storm water management and inland wetland issues.
- Responsible for guiding growth in accordance with the Plan of Conservation & Development and manages the update of the plan every 10 years per State Statute.
- Administers, reviews, evaluates and makes recommendations on applications to the Planning Commission such as special permits, site plans and subdivision approvals and receives and releases bonds.
- Serves as professional staff to the Planning Commission and assists the Commission with implementing planning practices.
- Prepares and manages the Land Use Department budget and directs the daily operations of the department.
- Meets with applicants throughout the application process, serves as liaison to other public agencies and conducts mapping and data research in support of Town planning projects.
- Consults with Town counsel on legal matters involving Planning, Zoning, and Inland¬ Wetlands and confers with the Land Use Enforcement Officer on the status and compliance of projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of land use management, planning, zoning and inland wetlands regulations.
- Knowledge of GIS, Microsoft Office and online permitting software.
- Ability to develop short-term and long range comprehensive plans for land use administration.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with town staff, officials, State agencies, board and commission members, contractors and the public.
- Ability to read and interpret site plans, drawings and specifications.
- Ability to review and present applications to the Planning Commission and other Land Use Boards and Commissions.
- Bachelor degree in Planning or related field and five (5) or more years of experience in the land use field.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification or obtain within two years of hire.
- CAZEO certification or obtain within 2 years of hire.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Deadline to Apply:
Position will remain open until filled.
Applications are available online. Please submit completed application and resume to Claire Morris, Finance & Human Resources Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be returned to Fiscal Office, 501 Main Street South, Southbury, CT 06488.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.