501 Main Street South
Southbury, CT 06488
Maps and Directions
Monday - Thursday:
8:00am - 4:30pm (Recordings until 4:00pm)
Fri: 8:00am - 1:00pm (Recordings until 12:30pm)
Town Hall Closed to the Public until December 31, 2020 Click here for details.
Marriage License Requirements
- You must obtain a Marriage License in the Connecticut Town in which the wedding will take place. In order to obtain your marriage license from Southbury Town Clerk you must be having the ceremony in Southbury.
- Please choose your officiator and set the date of your wedding before applying for a marriage license. You must provide us with the name of the person performing the ceremony and their telephone number.
- The applicants must appear in person, but not necessarily at the same time, at the office of the Southbury Town Clerk (501 Main Street South, Room 202).
- You must have a government issued picture identification.
- The marriage license is valid for 65 days from the date it is initially issued. Your wedding date must not be more than 65 days after you apply for the license.
- The fee is $50.00 cash, money order or check made out to the Southbury Town Clerk.
- The applicants must be 18 years of age to apply for a license independently. If either party is between the ages of 16 and 17, a parent or guardian must approve of the union, appear in person with a government issued picture identification and a certified birth certificate of the minor to prove relationship. If under the age of 16, a probate judge must approve the marriage.
- If a person who wishes to marry has a conservator, the conservator must appear at the office of vital statistics with a government issued photo identification, proof of conservatorship, and a written letter of consent.
- Please fill out the Marriage License Worksheet and bring it with you to obtain the license. While it is not mandatory to have the worksheet filled out prior to your visit, it does save you and the Town Clerk's office time.
- Marriage Licenses can be issued at any time during normal business hours but please arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to closing.