Registrar of Voters
501 Main Street South
Southbury, CT 06488
Maps and Directions
Monday - Thursday:
8:00am - 4:30pm
Fri: 8:00am - 1:00pm
Legal Requirements and Primary Responsibilities of Registrar of Voters
Federal/State Election Laws and Regulations and Municipal Ordinances mandate the duties and responsibilities of the department. These mandates govern the conduct of elections, primaries and referendums, registration and enrollment of voters and maintenance of voter files and election related records.
Some of our duties and responsibilities include:
- Administration of elections, primaries and referendums.
- Conducting and promoting voter registration and promoting voter participation.
- Informing citizens.residents of their voting rights and responsibilities.
- Providing updates on recent changes in election laws, rules and regulations.
- Conducting the Annual Canvass of Voters.
- Certification of petition signatures.
- Appointing and training all Election Officials.
- Registrars must be Certified Moderators and are required to attend annual training classes provided by the Secretary of the State.
Registrars are elected every four (4) years.