MESSAGE FROM P&R DIRECTOR
As we eagerly await the spring and summer seasons, which in many ways is another and very busy time of year for us, I would like to thank our community and our friends for participating in and for enjoying our fall and winter programs. We are proud to offer a wide variety of programming that include passive and active recreation curricula; we remain steadfast that many of our programs and special events are intended to serve our multi-generational community. Join us!
Thanks to your support, our winter programs well-served nearly 1000 participants. Southbury Parks and Recreation had over 600 basketball players creating many outstanding groups and teams. We had over 100 swimmers on the swim team, nearly 50 young swimmers in lessons, and dozens of adults, teens, and youngsters who enjoyed winter open swim. In addition, participants enjoyed many of our in-house classes such as cooking, chess, college preparation, custom grounds, taekwondo, and more. Lastly, I’d like to highlight our well received in-house programs: Arts in Motion, Design-a-Sign, interactive toddler series, and Painting on Canvas.
Looking ahead, we are preparing for another great summer. Our highly regarded Adventure Day Camp returns to Ballantine Park this summer, where our very enthusiastic 1st to 5th grade campers master the outdoors and enjoy the benefits of this beautiful park and the Southbury Town Pool throughout the camp season.
You will see in this newsletter that there are many happenings and events through Parks and Rec. There are also many other great things happening throughout our community! Click here to view details about our sport leagues and community partners. Click here to view the town’s event calendar. Please take advantage of every opportunity that you can: we enjoy every opportunity to get to know you!
Michael Ganem, Director
Southbury Parks and Recreation
SPRING EGG HUNT - March 25, 2023 at 10:00 SHARP
Our Spring Egg Hunt is open to children up to 12 years of age. Come with your basket or bag to hold your candy and eggs. While there is no fee for the Spring Egg Hunt, all participants are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for the Southbury Food Bank. Location: Ballantine Park, 611 Old Field Road, Southbury, CT
Rain Date: Saturday, April 1 at 10:00am. If the event needs to change to the rain date for Saturday, 4/1 it will be posted on the MyRec website at the top of the page in the red ALERT bar.
CANDY COUNTING CONTEST
Stop by the Parks & Recreation office during business hours to guess the number of candies in the jar. Fill out a slip with your contact information and whoever guesses closest to the count will win the candy! Winner will be notified the first week of April.
ART IN THE PARK - SAVE THE DATE: MAY 6, 2023, 10:00am-2:00pm
Art in the Park- FREE Special Event! Featuring crafts and recreational activities from Southbury Parks and Recreation’s Programs and arts and crafts from the Arts and Culture Subcommittee of the Southbury Economic Development Commission. Click here for more details.
It’s not too early to start thinking about the summer and lazy, hazy days outdoors at the Southbury Town Pool. Open Swim, Swim Lessons, Sharks Swim Team and special events will all take place at the pool this summer. Sign up now!
The Southbury Town Pool at Ballantine Park will open mid-June as your favorite destination to cool off this summer. The facility is the perfect spot for warm weather relaxation and enjoyment. In addition to our main pool, the Ballantine kiddie pool will be open for our youngest swimmers.
Swim lessons at the Southbury Town Pool are very popular and are offered on a first come first served basis. We have many lessons to choose from for all ability levels; from the tiniest water babies to young swimmers ready to develop all strokes. This year we will offer an assortment of lessons during the day, early evenings, and Saturdays. Class size is limited so register early.
SHARKS SWIM TEAM
Be part of one of State Line Swim League’s most successful teams! The Summer Sharks emphasizes participation, teamwork, and fun while teaching swim skills and technique in a relaxed atmosphere. Members have the chance to be on a team, compete for their best times in dual meets, and take part in a fun End of Season Invitational. Swimmers between the ages of 6 and 16 are eligible to sign up. Participants should be able to swim one lap of freestyle and one lap of backstroke. Season runs Monday through Friday from June 19 to July 28 at the Town Pool at Ballantine Park.
APRIL VACATION CAMP
Adventure Day Camp for grades K-6 is featuring a vacation camp during Spring Break. Children will have the experience of camp during their Spring Break by participating in a variety of camp games, activities, and crafts, and going on a field trip!
- April Vacation Camp | Grades K-6 | Monday-Friday, 4/10-4/14 | 8:00am-3:30pm - Register by 4/3
After Camp is offered at an additional cost from 3:30-5:00pm (Monday-Friday, 4/10-4/14) and a light snack is provided
Counselor-In-Training (C.I.T.) is a program for students Grades 9-12 who enjoy spending time with children and want to help the community while learning leadership skills. C.I.T.s are expected at camp between the hours of 8:00am-4:00pm daily for their registered week(s). Participants will partake in all camp activities, have the opportunity to lead a craft/activity station, and participate in weekly leadership training and meetings with the Camp Leadership Staff.
Check out Destination Daycation’s trip to Dave & Busters on Friday, March 10 for grades 6-8. Transportation from your child’s school will be provided and the length of the program is 12-6pm with a meal included. Parents will pick their child up by 6pm at Southbury Parks and Recreation’s building: 561 Main Street South. This program is hosted by Southbury Parks and Recreation and inspired by our TeenScape Camp. This program is for middle school aged children who attend Rochambeau Middle School or Memorial Middle School.
- Arts & Motion | Grades K-6 | | in person classes and take home kits. Pick up days for kits will be communicated by office - LAST CHANCE: Register by 3/6 for the March in-person Session
- Marvelous March - In person | Saturday, 3/11 | 9-10am | Register by 3/6
- Marvelous March - Take Home Kit | Pick up after 3/6, as notified | Register by 3/11
- April Adventure - In person | Saturday, 4/29 | 9-10am | Register by 4/20
- April Adventure - Take Home Kit | Pick up after 4/12, as notified | Register by 4/12
- Chess | Ages 6-14 | 5:00pm-6:00pm - Register by 3/17
- Checkmate! | Thursdays, 3/23-5/11
- Checkmate! | Fridays, 3/24-5/12
- Destination Daycation: Dave & Buster’s | Grades 6-8 | Friday, 3/10 | 12:00pm-6:00pm - LAST CHANCE: Register by 3/2
- Enchanted Ballet by Main Street Ballet | Age 3 | Saturdays, 3/4- 4/1 | 9:30am-10:15pm - LAST CHANCE: Register by 2/27
- Fun and Healthy Spring Cooking | Ages 7-12 | Thursdays, 3/23-4/27 | 4:15-5:30pm - Register by 3/16
- FUNdamentals of Field Hockey | Grades 1-8 | Mondays, 4/17-5/22 | 5:00pm-6:30pm - Register by 4/10
- Golf Junior Clinic | Ages 7-14 | Thursdays, 4/6-4/27 | 4:30pm-5:30pm - Register by 3/29
- Kicking Stars Spring Session | Tuesdays, 3/7-4/4 | 4:30pm-5:15pm - LAST CHANCE: Register by 2/28
- Mini Stars: Toddler Sports | Toddlers up to 2yrs - LAST CHANCE: Register by 3/7 for March program
- March Session | Tuesdays, 3/14 & 3/21 | 5:30pm-6:00pm
- April Session| Tuesdays, 4/18 & 4/25 | 4:30pm-5:00pm
- Painting Classes | Ages 6 & up - LAST CHANCE: Register by 3/6 for March class
- March Session: Campsite At Night | Sunday, 3/12 | 12:30pm-2:30pm
- March Session: Dragonflies At Night | Sunday, 3/12 | 3:00pm-5:00pm
- April Session: Bunny In Flowers| Sunday, 4/16 | 12:30pm-2:30pm
- April Session: Dandelions| Sunday, 4/16 | 3:00pm-5:00pm
- Renew Kid’s Yoga | Ages 5-11 | Sundays, 3/5-5/7 (no class 4/9) | 3:00pm-4:00pm - LAST CHANCE: Register by 2/27
- Tiny Tots Clubhouse | Ages 2-5 | Three take-home kits and an in-person session Saturday, 4/29 | 10:30am-11:30am - Register by 4/5
- Shooting Stars: Basketball Clinic Spring | Ages 3-5 | Mondays, 3/13-4/24 | 4:30pm-5:15pm - LAST CHANCE: Register by 3/6
- CPR/AED Training | Ages 12+ | 7:00pm-9:00pm - LAST CHANCE: Register by 2/28
- Adult CPR/AED | Tuesday, 3/7
- Infant/Child CPR| Tuesday, 3/14
- Design a Sign Class | Ages 5 & up | Saturday, 4/22 | 2:00pm-4:00pm - Register by 4/13
- Horseback Riding: Private Lessons | Ages 3 & up | Times Determined with Instructors - Rolling Registration
- Taekwon-Do | Ages 7+ - Rolling Registration until 4/17
- Beginners | Mondays & Wednesdays, 4/3-6/21 | 6:00pm-6:45pm
- Advanced| Mondays & Wednesdays, 4/3-6/21 | 7:00pm-8:00pm
- Chess: Game of Kings | Ages 15+ | 6:15pm-7:15pm - Register by 3/17
- Thursdays, 3/23-5/11
- Fridays, 3/24-5/12
- Golf | Ages 15+ | 6:00pm-7:00pm - Register by 3/29 for February Sessions
- Women Only Clinic | Wednesdays, 4/5-4/26
- Adult Novice | Thursdays, 4/6-4/27
- Flow to Fit Yoga | Ages 18+ - Register by 3/31 for earliest classes
- Beginners | Sundays, 4/2-5/21 | 10:30am-11:30am
- Level 1 Core | Tuesdays, 4/4-5/23 | 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Level 2 Core | Mondays, 4/3-5/22 | 9:30am-10:45am
- Level 2 Core | Wednesdays, 4/5-5/24 | 9:30am-10:45am
- Pilates Fusion | Mondays, 4/3-5/22 | 6:00pm-7:15pm
- Pilates Fusion | Wednesdays, 4/5-5/24 | 6:00pm-7:15pm
- Yoga for All | Thursdays, 4/6-5/25 | 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Tennis Lessons | Mondays, 4/24-5/22 - Register by 4/17
- Pee Wees | Ages 3-4 | 3:30pm-4:00pm
- Junior Beginner/Advanced Beginner| Ages 5-7 | 4:00pm-5:00pm
- Junior Low Intermediate/Intermediate| Ages 9-12 | 5:00pm-6:00pm
- Adult Beginner/Advanced Beginner| Ages 15+ | 6:00pm-7:00pm
REGISTER NOW FOR PROGRAMS BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!
To serve you better, all schedules of SP&R are subject to change.
Early Bird Pricing for Summer Camp (Adventure Day Camp and Teenscape) ends March 31st.
Pavilion rental applications for Southbury residents are now being taken! Non-resident applications will be accepted starting on March 8, 2023. The 2023 application is posted here.
We're accepting applications for summer jobs. Details are available on the Southbury Employment Opportunities web page.
WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Southbury Parks and Recreation is currently seeking pickleball instructor. Or do you have a talent that you would like to share? The Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is always looking for new instructors for our classes. like a pickleball instructor. To submit a class for consideration, download the form and return to our office.
Is there a class or event you would like us to offer? Please email us at email@example.com and let us know.
If you have any other comments or suggestions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
For information regarding youth sports organizations in town, please click here.