January-February 2023 News
MESSAGE FROM P&R DIRECTOR
I want to take this opportunity to thank you, our patrons, for your continued support of and for your participation with Southbury Parks and Recreation. In 2022, we serviced over 4,000 registrations; we are trending at nearly a 40% increase over pre-Covid registrations. I also want to thank our many community partners, our work colleagues and the Parks and Recreation Commission Members for their tireless effort and dedication.
In an effort to continue improving our ability to better serve the community, we have launched a new online recreation management website: southburyct.myrec.com. Please visit the site to learn how to register for programs and activities and more! Please note: Before registering for a program, you need to create an account. If you had an account on our old system, it will not be transferred. If you have questions about our new system, please call the Parks and Recreation Department at 203-262-0633.
Southbury Parks and Recreation is also extremely excited to be involved in the Town’s 350th Anniversary. We have a lot planned, including enhancements to our traditional special events and many new and exciting happenings. To learn more visit: www.southbury-ct.org/350.
Happy New Year! All the best to you and yours in 2023!
Michael Ganem, Director
Southbury Parks and Recreation
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS FREE THROW CHAMPIONSHIP - January 13, 2023
The Knights of Columbus will hold its 2023 Free Throw Contest on Friday, January 13 at Rochambeau Middle School, 100 Peter Rd in Southbury. Boys and girls 9-14 are eligible to enter. Each contestant takes 15 free throws and an additional 10 for a tie breaker.
Registration starts at 6:30 pm and contest at 7pm. To pre-register, please email Gary at firstname.lastname@example.org or register before the event.
Please note that this program is not run by the Southbury Parks and Recreation Department. All questions and comments should be sent to the organizer.
SP&R wants to thank everyone for submitting their scarecrow pictures. We are happy to announce the winner of the Scarecrow Contest is Silas Dube-Soucy and family (second picture from the left).
SP&R wants to thank everyone for submitting their pumpkin pictures. We are happy to announce the winner of the Pumpkin Contest are: Santino Doherty (child category - lower left picture), Jaden Ferrarese (family category- lower right picture), Sherry Croll (adult category - the Unicorn pumpkin!)
WINTER OPEN SWIM
As an early chill fills the air, we are still thinking aquatics at Parks & Recreation. This winter, Open Swim will return to Pomperaug High School for those looking to swim laps, or simply looking to simply splash around on a cold winter day. Registration for open swim have begun and will continue through March.
Passes are available for family, individual and senior members of the Region 15 community.
Create your own piece of art to take home and display on your wall! Our instructor will walk you through step by step in this painting class featuring various themes. All painting supplies are included. Please wear a smock or an oversized shirt (paint will not wash out of clothes).
This painting class is for ages 6 & up and for all levels of painting - including beginners with little to no experience!
- February Painting Classes | Ages 6 & up | Sunday, 2/12 - Register by 2/6
Love Birds - 10:00am-12:00pm | Heart Tree - 1:00pm-3:00pm
PARENT’S NIGHT OUT
On Friday, February 10th, drop-off will take place between 4:30 PM and 5:00 PM. Pick up no later than 9:30 PM. Dinner will be provided by local Southbury restaurants and snacks are included in this program, so please notify us if your child has any allergies. Follow registration link for more details about activities!
- Parent’s Night Out | Grades K-8 | Friday, 2/10 | 4:30pm-9:30pm - Register by 2/3
- Mini Stars: Toddler Sports | Toddlers up to 2yrs - Register by 1/17 for January program
- January Session | Tuesdays, 1/24 & 1/31 | 4:15pm-5:00pm
- February Session| Tuesdays, 2/21 & 2/28 | 5:30pm-6:15pm
- Arts & Motion | Grades K-6 | | in person classes and take home kits. Pick up days for kits will be communicated by office - Register by 2/6 for the in person class package
- 3 class package - Monthly pick up kits or in person as scheduled below
- February Fun - In person | Saturday, 2/11 | 9-10am | Register by 2/6
- February Fun - Take Home Kit | Pick up after 2/6, as notified | Register by 2/11
- Marvelous March - In person | Saturday, 3/11 | 9-10am | Register by 3/6
- Marvelous March - Take Home Kit | Pick up after 3/6, as notified | Register by 3/11
- April Adventure - In person | Saturday, 4/29 | 9-10am | Register by 4/20
- April Adventure - Take Home Kit | Pick up after 4/12, as notified | Register by 4/12
- Chess | Ages 6-14 - Register by 1/12
- Checkmate! | Thursdays, 1/19-3/9 | 5:00pm-6:00pm
- Checkmate! | Fridays, 1/20-3/10 | 5:00pm-6:00pm
- Cooking | Ages 7-12 - Register by 1/12
- Winter Cooking Fun! | Thursdays, 1/19-2/16 | 4:15-5:30pm
- Fun and Healthy Spring Cooking| Thursdays, 3/23-4/27 | 4:15-5:30pm
- Golf Junior Clinic | Ages 7-14 | Tuesdays, 2/7-2/28 | 4:30pm-5:30pm - Register by 1/25 for February Sessions
- Renew Kids Yoga | Ages 5-11 | Sundays, 3/5-5/7 | 3:00pm-4:00pm - Register by 2/27
- Shooting Stars: Basketball Clinic Winter | Ages 3-5 | Mondays, 1/23-3/6 | 4:30pm-5:15pm- Register by 1/16
- Horseback Riding: Private Lessons | Ages 3 & up | Times Determined with Instructors - Rolling Registration
- Taekwon-Do | Ages 7+ - Register by 1/18
- Beginners | Mondays & Wednesdays, 1/4-3/22 | 6:00pm-6:45pm
- Advanced| Mondays & Wednesdays, 1/4-3/22 | 7:00pm-8:00pm
- Chess: Game of Kings | Ages 15+ | - Register by 1/12
- Thursdays 1/19-3/9 | 6:15pm-7:15pm
- Fridays 1/20-3/10 | 6:15pm-7:15pm
- Golf | Ages 15+ | - Register by 1/25 for February Sessions
- Women Only Clinic | Wednesdays 2/1-2/22 | 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Adult Novice | Tuesdays 2/7-2/28 | 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Flow to Fit Yoga | Ages 18+ | - Register by 1/17 for earliest classes
- All Levels | Sundays, 1/22-3/12 | 9:00am-10:00am
- Level 2 Core | Mondays, 1/23-3/13 | 9:30am-10:45am
- Pilates Fusion | Mondays, 1/23-3/13 | 6:00pm-7:15pm
- Level 2 Core | Wednesdays, 1/25-3/15 | 9:30am-10:45am
- Level 1 Core | Tuesdays, 1/24-3/14 | 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Pilates Fusion | Wednesdays, 1/25-3/15 |6:00pm-7:15pm
REGISTER NOW FOR PROGRAMS BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!
To serve you better, all schedules of SP&R are subject to change.
- Kicking Stars Spring Session| Tuesdays, 3/7-4/4 | 4:30-5:15pm - Register by 2/28
Early Bird Pricing for Summer Camp (Adventure Day Camp and Teenscape) end March 15.
PAVILION RENTAL 2023
Pavilion rental applications will be accepted for Southbury residents starting on February 6, 2023 and for non-residents starting on March 8, 2023. The 2023 application will be posted on February 1, 2023.
WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Do you have a talent that you would like to share? The Southbury Parks and Recreation Department is always looking for new instructors for our classes. To submit a class for consideration, download the form and return to our office.
Is there a class or event you would like us to offer? Please email us at email@example.com and let us know.
If you have any other comments or suggestions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
For information regarding youth sports organizations in town, please click here.