The Fire Marshal’s office is staffed by a full time Fire Marshal, 1 full time Deputy, 4 part time Deputies and 1 part time Investigator.
The Fire Marshal, Deputies, and Investigator:
The Local Burning Officials:
- Investigates cause, origin and circumstances of all fires and reports information to the State Fire Marshal’s office.
- All job sites where explosives are being used are inspected before blasting permits can be issued.
- Keep a record of all underground oil tanks that have been removed.
- Inspect all tents and portable structures for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Regulations.
- Conducts review of plans and specifications for various occupancies and facilities proposed within the town for compliance with codes.
- Inspects all commercial occupancies yearly and all occupancies other than one or two family dwellings annually for compliance to the Connecticut Fire Safety Code.
- Issue liquor permits after inspection of the premises that serve alcohol.
- Must attend schools and seminars to keep abreast of codes, regulations and new technology.
- Issue burning permits between November and April depending upon weather conditions from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CT DEEP).
- Will inspect all areas to be burned prior to issuance of burning permit.