501 Main Street South
Southbury, CT 06488
Maps and Directions
Monday - Thursday:
8:00am - 4:30pm (Recordings until 4:00pm)
Fri: 8:00am - 1:00pm (Recordings until 12:30pm)
Copies of vitals are available in person or through the mail. All mail requests are processed on the day they are received in our office. If you choose to come in person we will fill requests for birth, death & marriage certificates at that time.
Click to view Marriage License requirements.
Vital Statistic Fees
|Birth Certificate - Long
||Suggested for travel and federal/state agencies
|Birth Certificate - Short
||Suggested for sports
Payment can be made with cash or a check made out to the Southbury Town Clerk. The Town Clerk does not accept debit cards or credit cards.
Vital Statistics Guidelines
Due to a recent increase in identity theft, the Office of the Town Clerk would like to remind citizens of the guidelines for obtaining a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate. These guidelines, developed by the State of Connecticut, are crucial in maintaining the rights and safety for all individuals.
Accessing Birth Certificates:
Access to birth records less than 100 years old is restricted in Connecticut. Pursuant to CT general statues, the following are the only persons who may have access to or be permitted to examine the original or any copy of a birth certificate. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE:
- The person whose birth is recorded, if over eighteen years of age (sixteen for a short form only).
- Such person's children, grandchildren, spouse, parent, guardian or grandparent.
- Attorneys-at-law and title examiners representing such person or such person's parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse.
- Members of genealogical societies incorporated or authorized by the Secretary of the State to do business or conduct affairs in this state.
- Agents of a state or federal agency as approved by the State Department of Health.
Any eligible party requesting a copy of a birth certificate must provide verification of the relationship entitling them to a copy of the birth certificate. Additionally, the requester must submit a government issued photographic identification:
If a Government issued photo ID is not available, at least two of the following documents are required:
- Social Security Card.
- Written verification of identity from employer.
- Automobile registration.
- Copy of utility bill showing name and address.
- Checking account deposit slip showing name and address.
Telephone verification of any information concerning a birth or birth record is prohibited.